2011년 3월 23일 수요일

3rd Assignment! :)

Chose a film that you've seen. Look up different reviews, ratings, and genre classifications from at least 3 different websites. Examine the following factors:



- I choose the movie called "The Sound of Music". Actually, this movie is based on the musical which has same name. It was also popular and is still considered one of the greatest screen musicals ever made.


1. Compare and contrast how the classifications affect how we approach that film:



First of all, I searched this movie on 3 main websites in Korea. If you click the image, you can see it bigger. This movie got high score every websites, and many good reviews on there. "The Sound of music" consists of story that can gain everyone's sympathy. There is a beautiful music, family's love, and exciting story. So it has been loved by so many people all over the world for such a long time. I already watched it a long time ago but if I weren't,  I surely would watch. Because I really love family and musical movie, like Mary Poppins. (And the actor who played Mary and Maria is same! It could be one of the reasons I would watch.) Also, when I read many reviews about it, almost everyone recommended this movie, and rate is pretty good. So people who didn't watch this movie wonder what movie is and many people of them who checked high score, reviews going to watch it.  

But, many people won't watch it although this movie is famous all over the world, because of genre. Pretty many people don't like family movie because of its characteristic. Director of family movie have to make it for everyone. So, it has a limitation of expression like nudity and violence. And many family movie is about the good triumphing over the evil, it can be cliched and boring. So, people who don't like family movie for these reasons, won't watch it. Of course, people who thinks music in the movie is unnecessary and disturb the story, they won't either.


2. What role does gender play?

I read many reviews about "The Sound of music", and almost everyone gave a five-star rating. But some reviewer wrote "This movie is boring." or "It is just for children!" or "If I have a time to watch movie, I would choose action movie, not Sound of music!". So I entered their blog and I found the people who don't like this movie are all MEN! Well, it can be hasty generation, but I think it makes sense to me. According to research, Men are left-brained, and Women are right-brained. The left side of our brain helps us to think through problems step by step,  whereas the right side helps us remember things we see, hear, and feel. So women are much sensitive and easily sympathize with other's feeling. I mean, Men are much critical than women and much hard to be impressed. So this movie can touch women's hearts easily. 



3. Are there any other ways that film can be classified?

Every site explains the genre of this movie as a "Family" and "Musical". But I think this movie can be classified into "Romance", "Thriller" and "Performing arts". First, this movie contains not just a family story. Of course, family love is really important to tell a story of Sound of music. But cleary, this movie revolves around three people in a love triangle, too. Captain von Trap and Baroness are couple, and Captain's mind has changed since he met Maria, who is a private teacher.


Finally he breaks off an engagement and proposes to Maria. And I really love the scene when they look at each other and sing a song, "Something good". How romantic it is!



Also, Cult and Liesl's love story makes me feel  like this movie can be classed as a romance movie, too.

And I can say the genre of this movie is "Thriller". It has not only bright side like love or music but also shows dark history of Austria. By the Second World war, Captain Von trap is summoned because Germany merges with Austria. So Von trap family decides to escape to the neutral state. Therefore they sing a song in the hall under the name of chorus contest to hide their extrication and try to escape during adjudicating. The Nazis realize their fleeing so chase after them and attempt to find.



This scene is the most scariest in this movie. The Nazis shine a flashlight on gravestone where Maria and childeren hide behind. It is so thrilling.! When I was a child, I prayed soldiers not to find her. I've seen it at least 100 tims but this scene is still scary. So I think this movie can be classified as a "Thriller".

It is a Performing art, too. "The Sound of music" unfolds by music and dancing. Many people sing a song, and it makes us easy to understand the story and not to feel bored.


I think this scene, Maria and children sing a song called "The lonely Goatherd" is the most artistic performing in this movie. Play in the musical movie is really funny and fresh.

Anyway, for these reasons I think the genre of this movie is not only "Family" and "Musical", but also "Romance", "Thriller" and "Performing art".

댓글 1개:

  1. Fantastic movie and fantastic assignment! I'm impressed with the work you put into this post. Very well done!!!

    답글삭제